Friday, November 5, 2010

We Made it... a Few Days Ago

11/4/2010


We’re finally here!! Our flight got into Phnom Penh Tuesday evening and I’m pretty sure I’ve been smiling ever since. I finally feel like I’m home after almost a year of preparation. We’re still trying to adjust to not planning every second of our day and just enjoying being with our new family… they’re awesome and treat us way better than we deserve. As I’m typing this Ronnie (Sokhom’s wife) just brought us a snack of grilled bananas (SO yummy). Wednesday we were able to go into town and catch-up with a few friends from here over the phone and had lunch with Tida and Ravy at Luna (an amazing Italian restaurant). Bopa came by to see us that night to deliver a few things for Randy to take back home. It was great to see her again and visit… I’m just so amazed and grateful that God has given us friends in Cambodia to help make our adjustment here easier. Tida told Lauren and I that we’ll have to have a party after Randy leaves, haha.

Today (Thursday) is the day I’ve been looking forward to since we left Cambodia this summer… we got to see our kids!! We just got to hang out and spent time with them before they had to go to class this afternoon. We tried a few of the new words we’ve learned (or are learning) and that was good for a few laughs from the kids… and teachers. I love that hugs and smiles are universal … one of the few instances there’s no need for Khmer or English. Sokhom showed us the new school rooms (first and second grade – I think) and we got to see the much anticipated bathrooms (thank you everyone that helped make those possible)!! Everything looks great at the orphanage and we’re really excited that that’s where the majority of our time here will be spent! We can’t wait to start teaching and really building relationships with the kids, house moms, and teachers. Seeing our kids and spending time with them is such a huge encouragement and reminder of why we’re here. I love that we’ll see all of them again really soon and that we don’t have to say goodbye… or at least not for a while.

Tonight all of us (Sokhom’s family, Randy, Lauren, and I) got to visit and relax over dinner. It was really nice to get to eat with everyone and just spend time getting to know our new family. They’re awesome!! We couldn’t have asked for a better family to join! And… we’re feeling a little more at home now that we both have Khmer cell phones…. sometimes it’s the little things that make a huge difference.

I still can’t believe I’m finally here and that we actually get to stay!!



-Tamara

No comments:

Post a Comment